Monday, May 23, 2011

First Day

Hmmm, how do I put this eloquently...my first day at Berrett-Koehler Publishers was...

Information. Overload.

I am dead tired and ready to knock out at 9:00 p.m. But, it was just enough information to excite me and not overwhelm me. And Holly was a wonderful trainer, so I feel like I have a thorough enough background information to kickstart my role as an editorial intern for the summer. I am also sure that I will have a better handle on things after a couple of days. I do have many weeks to go after all and I am excited to get started!

But, because I have a personal ambition and pressure to be a good intern, I do have two (slightly exaggerated) concerns as of now. Because I love to exaggerate and savor unnecessarily dramatic situations, here are the worst case scenarios:

1. Considering that I am the type of person who forgets what he or she said five minutes ago, I am afraid that I might forget to do something crucial that Holly taught me. For example, I'll forget that I even have a bk email and will never check it for the entire summer. (Okay, that's too exaggerated and has a slim chance of happening. But, you get my point). Or, maybe I'll reject the proposals, but forget to record them. I would have rejected fifty proposals, yet the spreadsheet would look the same as it did three weeks ago.
2. I haven't attached all the names to the faces of their owners. So, maybe Jeevan will tell me to go see Kristen and I will go see Dianne or Cynthia. Or, I will be standing in the middle of the hallway looking pathetically lost, because I don't know which office is the marketing and sales office. And, maybe the other employees will look at me with kind but pitying eyes and worsen my embarrassment...

I guess just the usual concerns that come with the first day of training (and the usual exhaustion). I think the best cure for this is to dive into the work and see where it goes. I think it's going to be fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment