Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Somehow not complementary

I was introduced to the interesting and detail oriented world of permissions in publishing. It is definitely a hostile and possessive world, too, if the rule of thumb is that you can't make money off of someone else's idea or property. If you do, then it's most likely straight to a lawsuit. Of course, I understand the hostility; I mean, I would be more than a little peeved if someone took my idea and used it as their own. But, right after learning about permissions, reading a manuscript about caregiving and creating a goal that is catered toward others and not to yourself gave me a funny feeling. It was as if I was introduced to two jarring ideas.

Yes, permissions and thinking about others are two completely different things. And, you can act for the benefit of all while maintaining you rights and keeping the things that you have rightfully earned. However, in the idea of being a caring person, I don't quite the see the aggressiveness that we show in suing others or being possessive.

Then, I wonder, isn't the aggressiveness in defending ourselves and protecting our rights just a part of human nature? Like lions that bear their claws in order to protect their territory? But, wanting to be caring, gaining a sense of fulfillment in realizing that your actions take others into consideration is also a part of human nature. Our feelings seem to traverse the bipolar spectrum of "Me only" and "I love and am generous to everyone" and make us into paradoxical beings.

Who would have known that publishing would remind me once again of the iffiness of being human.

No comments:

Post a Comment