Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Talent

There are a lot of popular self-help books about finding your talent or your innate potential to be successful. But, I've always thought that talent was an elusive thing, which makes me question whether these books about talent really work. You can't really measure the talent that you have, because at least for me, I am not sure what's considered talent or what's considered "just being decent" at something. I guess the standards also depend on your arrogance or self-expectation level, but I always feel a little conceited to say, "Yes, my talent is...."  The problem is that I feel as if I am lying to myself if I say "My talent is...," as if I am so sure. Because, I am not sure at all, and it's a bit sad to think that I am fooling myself.

This is not a "boo-hoo-i-am-doubting-myself" post, especially because I don't usually doubt myself. It's just that I always think the words "find your talent" is a bit simplistic. Perhaps, it's motivational and inspiring, and just the right kind of consolation for someone who is really doubting their capacity, but just how useful are those words except for getting someone out of an emotional rut? And, do we really want all our self-help books to just be a momentary emotional relief, even if they are bestsellers?  I would appreciate the book more if I could keep it with me and use its advices for my entire life. It is possible that "go find your talent" type of books are just disposable commodity, something that one might read and feel good, but never think of reading the book again. Then, we just get new, find-your-talent books that appeal to other self-doubting people and the vicious cycle continues.

Maybe, instead of looking for your talent, you should just try everything without getting caught up on getting the desired results. And if you fail, you fail. Like Beckett said, "Try again, fail again, fail better." Being good at failing is ironically kind of awesome, because you are good at something that most people don't admit that they are good at. Then, at least you will be one of a kind :)




No comments:

Post a Comment