Sunday, June 12, 2011

Being Productive

Unlike my internship at BK, my two previous internships did not have regular 10-5 work hours at an office. My blogging internship was completely online, in the comforts of my own home (or I guess, my dorm, which wasn't THAT comfortable), whereas my internship at an art gallery was not solely a desk job. (It involved a lot of manual labor...those canvases are HEAVY.) Although my internship at BK is only two days a week, it is safe to say that it's my first so-this-is-what-it's-like experience of having an office job. Although a desk job is not as physically draining as carrying twenty pound canvases, it does pose a sneaky danger. It's really easy to doze off, especially at the wee hour after lunch, just plain space out (which I am very good at, unfortunately), or do personal yet completely unnecessary things on the computer. (But, I am pretty good at staying focused on work, so this one's not too much of a problem.) In other words, it's really easy to be unproductive.


But, there is something nice about being productive. Even at home, I feel this satisfaction of having done something worthwhile. After working on something for hours, I would realize, "Wow! I've been working for so long!" and would feel really good about myself. It's funny, we think that being lazy and not doing anything will make us happy, because we are finally free from the shackles of work. I mean, being lazy from time to time is absolutely enjoyable, but in the end, having something to do makes us happier than not doing anything. I guess the hard part about being productive is actually getting started. At least, that's the hardest part for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment