Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Good Books are Not Jealous

As I was resting my poor nail-less toe, I started reading Affluenza, 2nd Ed., because I remembered watching a part of the documentary in my environmental science class in high school. I also think the topic is absolutely fascinating and I myself am trying to live more simply without getting caught up in the world's consumer culture. In one of the sections, the authors refer to Henry David Thoreau, who's famous for his own quest for simplicity in his book Walden. Probably because I agree so strongly with living simply as possible, I got the sudden urge to read Walden, which I have never had the chance to read before.

And this happened when I wasn't even finished with Affluenza. But, not because the book was so boring that I wanted to read something else. If a book inspires you to read another book, then that book is definitely worthwhile. It makes you become interested in a topic that the book is pursuing, instead of limiting your interest to itself, a book that you will eventually finish and never read again. Instead of being jealous of other books, it directs you to them, helping you widen your horizons or learn more deeply about a certain topic. Now, that's some nice book.

The pun is intended :)

No comments:

Post a Comment