Thursday, June 23, 2011

Marketing Workshop Day 1

Let me tell you...those cookie plates are dangerous.

Now, as for the more substantial aspect of the marketing workshop...overall, it was pretty awesome. A ton of information that I can't use right now, but I feel like I can apply to them to other aspects of my life that do not necessarily have anything to do with marketing your books. I think that ultimately, you're always marketing yourself, whether it's for a job, networking, or even if just wanting to form a good connection with someone else.

I would have to say that my favorite speaker was Michael Soon Lee, just because he was pretty hilarious. I didn't know that sales tactics that could be seen as "manipulative" could be so lovable.

The talk that was the most relevant to me was Marcia Reynolds talk on speaking. Public speaking goes beyond just book marketing into almost every career out there. And I absolutely love watching TED clips, and have always admired really engaging and inspiring TED speakers. I feel like the key to being a great speaker is being conversational, because that really forms a connection between the speaker and the audience. The audience gets sucked into what the speaker is saying, and of course, it's always nice if the speech is poetic (Eloquent, in one sense. I think eloquence always contains poetry.)

Strangely, despite being an ultra-introvert, I have no trouble with public speaking. Maybe, it's because I love acting, so I never feel stage fright. I guess it also might sound strange that an introvert loves acting, but I actually think acting is perfect for introverts. When you are acting, you are becoming someone else, so there is no vulnerability of exposing yourself. Introverts become freer to act when they are not themselves. That is not to say that I am not free when I am myself.. I am strictly speaking about the feeling that one might get from acting. But, here I am digressing to a completely different topic from what I've started with...

Anyways, I am disappointed that I won't be able to attend tomorrow's workshop, but there really isn't a more urgent concern when you are dragging around a pussing toe. Doctor's appointment, here I come, grimly.

No comments:

Post a Comment