Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Used vs. New: The Monetary Value of Books

It is painful for a college kid to buy new books. That is, spend $14.95 on a fiction that I could probably buy for $6 used. Ever since I was introduced into the wonderful world of used books at Berkeley, I just couldn't bear to spend more than twice the amount of money to buy the same book, simply with a newer cover and whiter paper. The only problem is that when there is a book that I really want to buy or have always wanted to buy, but can never seem to find it as used. Then, I arrive at the point of dilemma: To spend $14.95 or to not spend $14.95. I have succumbed to buying new books before, especially for the books that I felt as if I just had to read at that moment, or else I would go into book-withdrawals, or a massive depression (Small things do make me moody, such as the overcast weather, not reading when I want to read, etc.) Even if I cringe as I hand my crisp twenty dollar bill at the cash register, I am still happy enough once I get that book in my hands. So, if it's not so devastating to buy new books and I can indeed buy new books without bashing myself over it, then buying used books is not the only choice for my conscience. In other words, I am ultimately okay buying either used or new books.

Which brings me to the question of what is the monetary value of books? Economically, buying used books is more prudent, because you get the same content for half the price. But, what is considered "expensive" for books? $14.95 is only too expensive, because I know that there is a $6 option somewhere in the world, but in the end, the joy of getting that book trumps all that pain of extra dollars. Poohh, call me a spendthrift, I can't help it with books sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment