Monday, June 13, 2011

Productive II

Funny thing. I previously wrote about productivity and today, I read a book proposal about how to achieve maximum productivity. The society's obsession with productivity is tremendous, stemming from our dissatisfaction with just how lazy we are. So, why are we so lazy or unproductive?

Maybe, we are so unproductive because we obsess over productivity in the first place. Because there is this stress to be productive, productivity becomes an obligation, a burden, or for a lack of a better word, work. And people tend to get lazy if they think that what they are doing is work. Wouldn't we achieve maximum productivity if we don't think about productivity? If we don't think about how much work we have to get done in a certain amount of time, but just do things step by step without thinking about just how much of a workload we have? The constant pressure to be productive overwhelms us, and that might be why we get lazy. Because, we just don't want to deal with it.

This is coming from a personal experience of writing. If I make an obligation to write a certain amount, that writing becomes work, and I suddenly don't want to do it anymore. But, if I just write on and on without thinking of its end, if I just let the momentum take me, I end up writing more. (But, this is different from writing as much or little as you want. If I have that kind of mindset, I would just write one paragraph a day...). The best way to be productive is to only look at the process of work rather than the work as a whole with its beginning and its end.

No comments:

Post a Comment